Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Drifting spiritually
Our hearts are prone to wander. It is hard to stay focused and be intentional. Spiritual work takes perseverance and dedication. In January, I decided to take on a challenge and follow a friend's blog to get through the Bible in a year. I am thankful for her devotion, hard work and perseverance. Some days her words of encouragement and ability to bring the abundant truth to life were so exuberant and full of wisdom I could hardly contain myself to share this knowledge with others. Even with this kind of spiritual awareness and spoon feeding of the gospel, I found myself facing setbacks and spiritual drifting. Somehow daily life and challenges can steal joy. It is easy to get distracted and turn my heart toward other things. The security deposit of the holy spirit enabled me to not drift too far and am thankful for God's intervention to help me believe the truths in scripture and to pray and act upon the graces that have been shown to me. Hebrews 2:1-3 says "we must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. For if the message spoken by angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its punishment, how shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation? The punishment for sin is death unless you are alive in Christ and accept what has been given so freely. There is nothing to add to this except acceptance and gratitude. Being a believer means I have trusted in Christ's accomplished work and am resting in him. This is really good news.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment