Monday, March 25, 2013


Happy 16th Birthday!

Since the day I found out I was pregnant with you, I tried to imagine what life would be like with a baby, toddler, preschooler, elementary schooler, middle schooler, and high schooler.  Never in my wildest dreams could I have known what the next 16 years were about to bring.  

We have enjoyed adventures beyond imagination.  From the time you were a few months old, we would explore everything St. Louis had to offer.  Then, we broadened our horizons and traveled to New York, Arizona, Florida, Michigan, Texas, California, and many more states to explore and enjoy God’s creation.  You have grown up in a sports fanatic family.  You have been to spring training games, professional baseball games, football games, basketball games, and hockey games.  I have witnessed you succeed in every sport you have tried to play.  You have grown up with an amazing athletic ability.

God has allowed you to experience some challenges along the way that allowed me to see your unfailing perseverance and character that would have never been revealed without them.  I will never forget your determination to learn about the U.S. transcontinental in the hospital as you were regergitating barium after your multiple x-rays.  You have lived through a horrific sickness, many broken bones, more than a few concussions all with a better than average attitude. You have been challenged academically in a few areas and have proven to remain on the honor roll despite the setbacks, all on your own merit.  You have an amazing spatial ability and can practically navigate any city.  You know stats and can commentate any sport.  You are a hard working student with a great work ethic and give 110% of yourself in every aspect of your life.  

You have had an amazing privilege most kids in the U.S. will never have - growing up with your cousins and grandmother living next door.  You have also enjoyed extended family on both sides caring about you, celebrating you, and watching your many activities over the years.  You have grown up in a loving home with two parents and a sister who admires and looks up to you.  

You have been the recipient of a church family that has prayed over you many, many times over the last several years.  These are people in the community who genuinely care for you. You have inherited an independent spirit, so I hope you know the gifts that have been bestowed on you.  I pray you will not boast in accomplishments, but use them to benefit others, especially those who are less fortunate.  My wish is for you to love the Lord with all of your heart, soul and mind and to seek his wisdom in all things.  Secondly, my wish for you is to love others as you love yourself.  Treat others as you wish to be treated.  To love boldly and forgive quickly, as Christ has forgiven you is the ultimate calling.  We have failed you many times, but hope you will remember the great sacrifices we have made on your behalf and remember all the family celebrations, love and family time we have enjoyed together.  You have filled my days with pleasure, pain, worry, joy, pride, anger and impatience.  Thank you for bringing out the best and worst in me and for keeping me humbled and on my knees.

You are a natural born leader with a strong will and a strong sense of what you want. My hope for you is to use your talents wisely.  Treat others with respect, care and kindness all the days of your life.  Never take anything for granted.  Everything in your life is a precious gift that can be taken at any moment.

You are a hardworking, rule-following, ethical young man.  You seek fairness and justice and are a protective spirit by nature.  You are a loyal, true, and honest in your dealings.  

I pray your 16th year will bring new friendships, laughter, joy and continued fellowship with God.  I pray you will make moral decisions based on principles, not feelings.  I pray you will respect, honor and cherish all those that cross your path in the years to come.  You are a unique and special gift from God.  I pray the next few years should prove to be the best in making the passage into adulthood before plunging into the challenges and responsibilities you will face in the future.  Remember, to always give it your best and at least try to take risks, no matter how big the projects may seem.  Pain of failing passes quicker than the regret of never trying.

I hope you know how much I love you and how thankful I am that God allowed me to earnestly enjoy the last 16 years with you.  You are a true delight with a great sense of humor (when you are not being too serious!)  You have a sensitive and loving spirit, and I hope you will remember how abundantly loved and cherished you are in my eyes and in God’s kingdom.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment