Saturday, February 28, 2009

Getting Back to "Normal"

Well, even with the call they were not able to take Paul to the Endocrine specialist until June (earliest). They have thyroid cancer patients waiting to be seen. They are overwhelmed. The pediatrician said she could give me a name of a friend of hers in Endocrinology at St. Johns but said she really doesn't think it is an adrenal issue (even after looking at the paperwork from the homeopathic Dr., or should I say especially after looking at the paperwork). I know the fields are "enemies" when it comes to treating patients. She told me she ran all of his blood work for most of the same things and found no major issues. She also recommended going back to Dr. Tarr. She said he could run all of the same tests as the Endocrine specialist anyway but most of Paul's issues are digestive and to stick with the G.I. department. She told him he may feel bad into his adult life and that this is something he is going to have to live with for a long time, but that he should get back to as much as a normal life as possible including school and asked if he has had any fun lately. You should have seen the confusion on his face. I thought to myself "if he was having any fun, we surely wouldn't be sitting here right now". She told him the longer he waits, the more scary it will be. She said "this is an illness you are going to have to live with and shouldn't let it dictate your life". She has a point (even though I totally didn't want to hear it). I will be encouraging him to get back to "normal" even though he feels horrible most of the time. We made an agreement to try an hour of school on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment