Friday, February 20, 2009

Interesting Day

Yesterday we met with the Dietitian at Childrens. Unfortunately, she really didn't have additional information for us. NO DIET PLAN! She actually asked me to contact her with information I find, because she really doesn't know much about this diagnosis. I waited two weeks for this? UGGGHHH. She did at least have a list of food items with the amount of glucose and fructose in them (from 1987) but at least I know the fruit and vegetable contents. Apparently, if I find foods with equal amounts of glucose and fructose, they may be intestinally friendly (but not always). She told me I can give him white bread, white rice and white pasta even after I told her he is not processing carbs either. She said Frosted Mini Wheats should be fine even though whole grain wheat is the first ingredient and sugar is the second. Wheat, especially when it has been enriched, is not absorbed in the small intestine by a person with fructose malabsortion and leads to the delivery of colonic lumen. Luminal bacteria rapidly ferments fructose to hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and short-chain fatty acids which results in luminal distention, bloating, abdominal discomfort and contributes to IBS (that comes from the American Dietetic Association Journal from 2006). I am sure she is a fine Dietition to modify a regular diet, but my experience has been that whether it be Dr. or specialist; that person only knows what they have studied specifically and not how the rest of the body functions as a whole. The afternoon went much better. We visited the homeopathic Dr. and also sent out the urine analysis. We will gather much more information about vitamins and minerals lacking in Paul's body when the urine analysis is reviewed. He is still very sick, and it will take a lot of time to figure this out. Fructose inevitably will be sneaking into his diet often. It is going to be a matter of monitoring which foods work better than others, and if I can offset the fructose with glucose to help the digestion of it. Please keep praying that he can learn how to swallow pills.

No comments:

Post a Comment