Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bittersweet

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday was that while getting on the elevator at Children's, we ran into the family that was on the news the night before (the little boy who was severely burned and has to take baths in bleach). God really provided a wonderful opportunity for my son to see that it really can always be worse. As I was reflecting on what life must be like for them because of our constant contact with water and how severely painful it must be for this 2 or 3 yr. old, it also did remind me of how much our lives truly revolve around food; both of which are critical to life. I can honestly say I look at food in a whole new way, and I know Paul does too. 95% of what is in the refrigerator and pantry are off limits now. What I was taught about eating my fruits and veggies and drinking my milk to stay healthy is so opposite of what we need to do. Now I am encouraging bacon and eggs every morning and to stay away from fruit and most veggies. It is so going against my grain of what "healthy" is supposed to look like. Most of the food Paul, Jr. ate was whole grain cereals or oat bran and a boat load of fruit all of which are now the enemy. Apples, grapes, pears, plums, strawberries, watermelon, and cherries are particularly horrible. Broccoli, Asparagus, tomatoes, corn and sweet potatoes are also off limits. For now, the Dr. wants him to also avoid lettuce, as it is hard to digest. Sadly, I also just found out, fructose is the only known substance that can accelerate the clearance of Alcohol (ethanol) from the bloodstream and provide necessary energy for sperm with their motility. However, toxic effects of fructose in a person that malabsorbs fructose far outweigh any health benefit. Excessive consumption of fructose may increase blood clotting, cardiovascular diseases, hypertension along with the acceleration of the aging process. It may also cause colic in infants (which Paul had) and can cause Diarrhea or IBS (which now Paul has) and may increase the risk of Calcium Oxalate Kidney Stones. Thats not all: Fructose is implicated in some types of Cancer (breast and colon). It may increase Cholesterol (LDL), may cause insulin resistance, increase your risk for Diabetes Type 2, cause a fatty liver, gallstones, fatigue, obesity, triglyceride levels to elevate, can lead to Gout, Depression, Tooth Decay and Wrinkles. It interferes with the body's ability to absorb copper and Phosphorus and may increase Homocysteine levels. If that is not refreshing enough, I found out most people NEVER GET DIAGNOSED or don't find out for 10-20 years later. Most of the healthy population cannot tolerate anymore than 25 and 50 grams of fructose and most don't even know they are intolerant but continue with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, stomach pain, intestinal cramps, flatulence, fatigue, or depression and get treated only for their symptoms. I am thankful we found it. The abstract I just read (thanks Karen) studied a group of people that tested positive on the breath hydrogen test for fructose intolerance over a period of 2-40 months; the median being 14 months and found marked improvement in symptoms in those that followed the strict guidelines of what to avoid in their diet. I do have hope but know it will take a really long time accompanied with plenty of setbacks. God is definately teaching me patience, a characteristic I have longed and prayed to achieve. The earlier joke was "don't pray for patience", but I am thankful for the precious time he has given me with my son for the last 8 weeks. It is a bittersweet blessing. Although, it is a helpless, heartbreaking feeling to see him suffer, and I fear about what to feed him at every meal; God truly is helping me rely on him for guidance. I would have otherwise probably relied on the doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment