Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Strep Throat and White Blood Cell Count

Paul woke up very sick today. I took him to the pediatrician's office and his normal Dr. was off today, so we filled in the new doctor with his history. He tested positive for strep throat, which brought up a whole new area of concern - the fructose in the meds. Paul's only option without fructose is to swallow a pill. He is still not able to swallow big pills and especially with a sore throat. We both agreed a cheweable will have to be the way to go, even though it will make him sick for the next 10 days. The bacteria infection needs to be fought first. I asked the Dr. about his white blood cell counts. She explained at normal range is anywhere from 4.5-15. Paul's count is 3.2. She said typically with a bacterial infection that it is supposed to go up, so in this case I am wondering just how low it really is since he started getting the sore throat yesterday right before his blood work. January 30, his count was 6.1. That means it has been cut in half in just 6 weeks. Something is seriously going wrong in his body. Well at least I don't have to worry about that nightmare, since it has already arrived. Tomorrow can't come soon enough to get the other results of the blood work. I feel like I am standing in the middle of a hurricane and watching from the inside out. I see disaster, but we are all still relatively calm. We appreciate your prayers, because God is the only thing sustaining us right now. I feel his peace in the midst of the chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment